3:44 AM
0

New Delhi: Several Bollywood stars including Amitabh Bachchan, Akshay Kumar rushed to pay tribute to
former South African President Nelson Mandela after he passed away on Friday.

The anti-apartheid leader, 95, died at his home in Johannesburg, South Africa, surrounded by his family.

Mandela was for millions a symbol of hope and freedom for his battle to overcome apartheid in South Africa and win equal rights for black people, which saw him being jailed for 27 years.

Megastar Amitabh Bachchan fondly remembered his encounters with the great leader.

"Nelson Mandela - a giant of a man; of will, belief and perseverance, passes away. But leaves behind a legacy of fight for right. I had the greatest honour to meet and spend time with him on two occasions. His humility his greatest asset, among countless other," Bachchan tweeted.

Bollywood star Akshay Kumar also reflected on the passing away of Mandela saying, "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. Couldn't be more true. RIP Nelson Mandela."

Filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt said Mandela's word of advise during their meeting is still etched in his memory.

"The perfume of my meeting with Mandela lingers. Remembering what he told me: 'It would be preposterous for me to give any advise to India. Just live the words of Gandhi'," Bhatt posted on Twitter.

Praising Mandela's glorious life, actor Anupam Kher said, "Hope, Courage, Struggle, peace, Compassion. With Nelson Mandela, a part of these expressions also died today. Thank you for your Life. RIP."

Director Kabir Khan recalled his chance meeting with the leader while shooting a documentary in South Africa.

"I was filming a documentary in South Africa wearing a T-shirt that said 'Vote for Mandela'. He smiled and said to me 'U can get arrested for that'. RIP to the greatest person I had the honour of meeting. My prized possession his autographed autobiography," Khan said.

Actor Randeep Hooda remembered Mandela, who was fondly called as Madiba, by sharing his favourite quote of the leader.

"I am the captain of my ship, I am the master of my soul..RIP Madiba. The greatest leader in the world," Hooda said.

Actors Ali Zafar, Lara Dutta, Javed Jaffrey, Aftab Shivdasani also paid tribute to Mandela. PTI

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Comments

Labels

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Popular Posts